Our online self-study certificate program provides a
foundational education in clinical trauma work.
Participants of this program develop skills, knowledge and
awareness of the healing and recovery process needed to effectively
work with trauma survivors.
The program can also serve as the entry to more advanced trauma
study. The certificate coursework, approximately 40 hours, can be
applied to our Trauma-Informed
Care & Counseling Certificate Program for a more
Upon completion of the certificate program, you will be able
- Recognize how psychological trauma contributes significantly in
the development of many problems such as various psychiatric
disorders, addictions, behavioral disorders, suicidal behavior,
personality disorders, violent behavior and chronic health
- Understand that based on expert consensus, the three-phase
model of trauma treatment is best practice: stabilization and
managing responses to the trauma; resolution of the traumatic
memories which includes processing and grieving the memories; and
personality re-integration and rehabilitation (reconnecting with
life, relationships and the world in healthy way).
- Know the models of trauma, the neurobiological basis of trauma,
symptom criteria for Acute and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
(PTSD), evidence-based and other effective treatment methods.
- Use self-care methods to minimize burnout, vicarious
traumatization and compassion fatigue.
- Know how to implement a Trauma-Informed Care (TIC) model in an
- Understand the relationship between trauma and addiction, and
the role of shame.
- Experience expanded knowledge regarding trauma and other
populations or treatment approaches based on the elective course
Please note that this certificate program does not verify
competence in the field, but rather indicates completion of the
required training. Acquisition of new knowledge and skills improves
your ability to deliver services.
- Enroll and start at any time that is convenient for you. The
program is available 365 days a year.
for the program online with a credit card or an eCheck from your
- Or, you can print and mail the
application. Include the $25 application fee.
- Eligibility: a minimum of a bachelor's degree in a human
service discipline (psychology, criminal justice, sociology,
nursing, social work, etc.) or a bachelor's degree and one year of
work with clients in a human service organization.
- Once you receive email notification of acceptance, you will be
able to access the online catalog and enroll in courses. This is a
separate process and you will need to set up an online account to
choose and pay for courses. With acceptance to the certificate
program, you will be eligible for the discounted price option for
some of the trauma courses. The online courses offer the lowest
discount price, and the Buffalo/Western New York live trauma
courses will give you an option in registration to select the
trauma discount price.
- Purchase online courses based on the categories identified in
the category list of the online catalog at the link below this
Questions about registering? Contact us at email@example.com or
As you prepare for the Online Trauma-Informed Clinical
Foundation Certificate Program, we invite you to watch a sample video from Elaine Hammond,
LMSW, about the importance of self-care in trauma work. You
may also download the PowerPoints.