General Questions

We answer your top training questions.

Registration and Payment

Q: How can I verify my registration?

A: Sign into your account. All courses you are registered for are listed in your "My Courses" Tab.  You can view all purchases, including courses you cancelled in the "All Transactions" tab. You can also print, email or download any receipts you need from the "All Transactions" tab. 

Q: How can I register and pay?

A: You can find all live and self-study courses in our catalog. Please view the course details, add desired courses to your cart and complete the checkout process. Acceptable forms of payment include credit card, check, and purchase order. If you have any questions please email us or call 716-829-5841.

Q: Can I bring my payment to the first day of training?

A: Payment is required prior to attending the training.

Q: Can I transfer my Continuing Education discount to another person?

A: Individual discounts are only for the individual named and are not transferrable.

General Questions

Please be considerate of those with allergies and chemical sensitivities

Some individuals attending training have allergies, asthma, migraines or chemical sensitivities. Your support in refraining from wearing perfume, cologne or similar scents is appreciated.

Q: Will I receive copies of the handouts?

A: Handout copies are provided when you arrive at the registration table. One set of handouts is included with your registration fee. The only exception is rare instances  when a trainer may have copyrighted their handouts (especially the PowerPoint handout) and will not provide a PowerPoint as the document is intellectual property. We always recommend that people bring paper to take notes in case you want to keep your handouts unmarked or the PowerPoint has not been provided. In addition, please be aware that your PowerPoints and other handouts are sometimes marked with a copyright and instructions that they cannot be copied and distributed without the instructors permission.

Q: What do I wear to training?

A: Please dress in layers and bring a sweater or light jacket if needed. Most training sites will vary in temperature and are often cool.

Some individuals attending training have allergies, asthma, migraines or chemical sensitivities. Your support in refraining from wearing perfume, cologne or similar scents is appreciated.

Note: In addition, please refrain from texting during the training, or bringing any knitting or crocheting. These activities should be limited to break and lunch periods as attendees and instructors find them distracting during the training.

Q: Is lunch included with training?

A: Training descriptions indicate if lunch is included or not with your registration fee. Our light lunches include vegetarian choices. If you require a gluten free meal option, please contact us at at least one week in advance of the training. 

Q: Do I need a parking permit?

A: Parking permits are not needed for the UB Center for Tomorrow. If they are needed for any other UB site, permits will be mailed to you.

Q: What if I am 'triggered' by the training content?

A: We each bring a range of life experiences, including traumatic ones, into the room when we attend a training. If at any time you feel  emotionally triggered by content, you are welcome to step out of the room for some self-regulation time.  For online  courses, you can pause the course and return to it at a later date. If you feel you are unable to remain in the training, please contact us at or  call the continuing education director at 716-829-5847 to request a refund.  

Q: Do you have online self-study trainings?

A: Yes; visit our Online Training Catalog at the link below.

Q: How do I find the driving directions?

Q: Where do I find the location for the trainings?

A: See the "Location" tab on the course details page for location information and directions. 

Q: Do I get CEUs for attending workshops?

A: The majority of our live workshops and certificate programs offer CEUs (contact hours) for New York LMSWs, LCSWs, LMHCs, LCATs and LMFTs  as we are an approved training provider through the NYSED State Board for Social Work and Mental Heath Practitioner Board. We also offer NYS Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services (OASAS) #0045 training hours.

For all live and online self-study courses, please check the "Credits" tab carefully to ensure it provides what you need before you purchase the course. Almost all of the online self-study courses offer NYSED LMSW and LCSW contact hours. Many also offer NYSED LMHC, LCAT and LMFT contact hours.

Q: What is the difference between ‘certification’ and ‘certificate program’?

A: A certificate program is a series of training hours on a topic area or treatment method. It is designed to advance your skills and knowledge. This is a common training format in university continuing education programs. Completion does not represent that you have ‘certification’ or are ‘certified’. You receive a frameable certificate of completion for the program if you meet all requirements. In addition, each course completed will provide a certificate of completion with applicable CEUs. Certificate course work provides resources for additional study and in some cases, pursuit of advanced intervention skills such as EMDR or DBT offered though other training providers.

'Certification' should only be offered by programs that are sufficiently assessing both knowledge acquired and competent implementation of the skills and knowledge taught. Ongoing clinical supervision may be required as part of completion of a certification program.  Practitioners must comply with their professional codes of ethics in how they represent skills and knowledge acquired through continuing education programs. 

Smoke-Free Policy

The University at Buffalo is committed to providing a healthy, comfortable and safe environment for its students, faculty, staff and visitors. As a result, smoking is prohibited throughout the university, both indoors and outdoors. We kindly ask that you please refrain from smoking while on campus.

Summer Institute MSW Elective Credit Courses

Q: How do I register for Summer Institute MSW credit courses?

Q: How do I pay for MSW credit courses?

A: Registrants are billed by email to your address for University at Buffalo credit course tuition. You must pay prior to the deadline in order to avoid late charges. Paper tuition bills are not mailed by the University.

Q: How do I use my tuition wavier to pay my tuition bill?

A: When your UB tuition bill arrives by email to your email address, follow the instructions on how to attach your tuition wavier or how to use it to pay online.

Q: Can I use a tuition waiver or UUP voucher for non-credit workshops?

A: Tuition waivers and UUP vouchers can be used only for SUNY credit courses. They cannot be used for non-credit workshops.

Q: Does the tuition waiver cover fees as well as tuition?

A: It does not cover university related credit course fees.

Q: Can a 3-credit tuition waiver be used to pay for a 1-credit course?

A: Yes. If you do not use all three credits in the semester, you forfeit the remaining credits.

Q: How do I get a tuition waiver?

A: If you are a UB School of Social Work field educator, the Field Education Office provides you with the opportunity to request a tuition waiver at designated times during the year. Visit our Field Educator Resources page for more information.

Q: What if I lost my tuition waiver or Continuing Education discount certificate?

A: For lost tuition waivers, contact the Field Education Office at Lost or misplaced Continuing Education discount certificates are not replaceable.

Q: If my tuition waiver or my Continuing Education discount certificate is expired, can I still use it?

A: Expired waivers and certificates cannot be used.

Q: Can I transfer my tuition waiver to another person?

Visit our Field Educator Resources page and click on the Tuition Waiver Information link for rules.

Q: If I missed one day of a 1-credit course, can I still pass the course?

A: Attendance at both days of a 1-credit course is required to pass.

Q: Where do I buy the books for the credit courses?

A: Books can be purchased at or other preferred Internet vendors. Books may be available in limited quantities at the UB Bookstore on the North Campus in Amherst for classes held on the North or South Campus.

Q: If I am taking a credit course as a non-credit workshop, do I have to buy the course books?

A: You will be expected to complete any required readings to enable you to participate in the course even when taking it for non-credit. This can be done by purchasing books, renting books or sharing a book with a colleague who is also attending.

Q: Where do I get the syllabus for an MSW credit course?

A: We send out the syllabus to everyone enrolled in one of our Summer Institute credit courses. If you would like to request a syllabus in advance, contact us at

Q: What is the difference between a workshop and a credit course?

A: Credit courses are credit-bearing university courses. The ones offered in our Summer Institute are graduate courses, which means that you must have a bachelor’s degree to enroll. Credit courses are graded by the instructor and there are readings, homework, exams and/or papers required. A workshop is a non-credit training which does not provide university graduate credits and it cannot be used toward a college or university degree.

Q: When are trainings offered?

A: Live training in Buffalo and select areas of Western New York is offered most months of the year. As trainings are planned, they are added to our website. Periodic emails are sent out to those on our mailing list to notify people of training offered directly by us or through collaborations. Online self-study courses are available 365 days a year.

Q: What is the schedule for a one-day training?

A: A full day training is normally 5 - 6 hours. Half-day trainings are offered in the mornings and afternoons. Courses are normally offered on weekdays and not on weekends.

Trauma-Informed Certificate Programs

Q: What are the Trauma-Informed Certificate Programs?

A: We have three trauma-informed certificate programs that range from the Trauma-Informed Care & Counseling Certificate Program offering an in-depth clinical look at trauma (partially online self-study and partially live in Buffalo), Online Trauma-Informed Clinical Foundation Certificate Program (shorter program, fully online with fewer elective hours required), and the Online Trauma-Informed Organization Certificate Program: Basics for All Staff that allows agencies to training all of their staff in basic knowledge about trauma and specific populations.  Please refer to the details on the web pagesYou  only have to pay for one course at a time and you do NOT pay the full amount up front.

Q: How do I enroll in the Trauma-Informed Care & Counseling Certificate Program?

A: Each of the three certificate programs has its own requirements. Please refer to details on the web pages.

Q: How long does it take to finish a Trauma-Informed Certificate Program?

A: Each of the three certificate programs has its own time period for completion. Please refer to the details on the web pages.

Q: Can I use a training or credit course I took elsewhere to count toward the Trauma-Informed Certificate Programs?

A: Normally only trainings and MSW credit courses offered through the UB School of Social Work and its Office of Continuing Education are included in the certificate programs. There are occasions when select trauma trainings offered through outside organizations we are collaborating with may be applied to the program for a fee.

Q: Can I use my UB MSW trauma credit courses toward the Trauma-Informed Certificate Program?

A: Yes, for courses taken up to three years prior to enrollment in the certificate program. Provide us with a copy of your UB MSW degree transcript. The list of applicable credit courses is on our MSW Credit Courses page.

Q: What if I cannot finish the Trauma-Informed Certificate Program in the designated time period?

A: Contact us at to request an extension along with the reason for the request.

Q: How often are Foundation, Grounding & Experiential Methods, Skill Interventions and Elective workshops offered?

A: Foundation workshops are online as self-study courses. Elective workshops are offered continuously throughout the year and there are many online. Elective topics vary and many are offered only once.

There is one Grounding and Experiential Methods course available online. Occassionaly, live offerings of courses that meet this requirement are also available in Buffalo.

Skill Interventions are 12-hour courses and at least one is offered each year.

Management Certificate Programs

Q: Are there CEUs for management certificate programs?

A: Refer to the specific certificate program brochure for details on CEUs offered. They may include one or more of the following: New York LMSW and LCSW CEUs through the NYSED State Board for Social Work, NYS OASAS CEUs and ASWB ACE social work CEUs.

Q: What if I miss a session in a management certificate program?

A: Please refer to the attendance requirements specified in the program brochure. If you have questions about missing time, contact or 716-829-5847.

Q: Can I get a refund if I started the management certificate program, but am unable to finish due to a change in my schedule or other emergency?

A: Please refer to the cancellation policy listed in the specific certificate program brochure. Contact us at with any questions.

Q: Are there scholarship available?

A: Scholarships are not currently available. Most trainings and programs offer an early bird discount price.

Social Work Licensure and NY License Renewal

Q: Do I have to take a Social Work Licensure Preparation Course to take my exam for my license?

A: No, our preparation course is designed for people who want additional study to prepare for their LMSW or LCSW exam. We usually offer in at least once a year in June. When registration is available, the course will be listed on our Trainings Held in Buffalo page.

Q: Where do I find the study books for the Social Work Licensure Preparation Course?

A: The books are included with the fee for taking the course. You will receive the books on the first day of the course.

Q: What degree do I need to take a New York State social work licensure exam (LMSW or LCSW)?

A: You must have a Master of Social Work (MSW) degree.

Q: What if I take the Social Work Licensure Preparation Course and I don’t pass my state licensure exam?

A: If you do not pass your exam, you may re-take the Preparation Course at no charge by providing a copy of your letter indicating that you did not pass, along with your course registration form. If you need a new set of study books when you re-take the course, you will have to pay for those.

Q: Where do I sign-up to take the state licensure exam?

A: For New York, follow these instructions. For other states, check with your state licensure department. You must have state approval before you schedule your licensure exam.

Q: Where is the state licensure exam held?

A: Exams are administered nationally by the Association of Social Work Boards. Visit the ASWB website for information on locations and other procedures for scheduling your exam.

Q: Do you submit my continuing education training records to NYSED for renewal of my LMSW, LCSW or LCSW-R?

A: No, you are responsible for keeping copies of your certificates and submitting them to NYSED when you receive a notice from them for a continuing education training audit. Approved training providers do not submit your training records to NYSED as there is no NYSED mechanism in place to do this.

New York LMHC, LCAT and LMFT License Renewal

Q: Do you provide New York contact hours for LMHCs, LCATs and LMFTs?

A: As of 1/1/17, continuing education is required in New York for LMHCs,  LCATs and LMFTs to renew their license registration. We are an approved NYSED State Board for Mental Health Practitioners training provider for: LMHC training provider #MHC-0008; LCAT training provider #CAT-0003; and LMFT training provider #MFT-0007.

If you have other questions, please contact us at