Criteria and Responsibilities
- A Master's Degree in social work and NYS License (either LMSW
or LCSW, as appropriate to the setting / level of intern's clinical
- Willing to meet the stated Field Educator Responsibilities
- Be free of any professional sanctions by NASW
- Two years post master's social work experience (preferred)
- Have worked in the field placement agency for at least one year
- Attend an orientation session provided by the School (required
for all new field educators).
- Provide the student with an orientation to the agency,
including information on safety protocol, HIPAA requirements, or
other regulations specific to field site.
- Provide suitable workspace.
- Coordinate the involvement of other agency staff with the
student's learning experience.
- Develop, with the student, a learning contract which reflects
the learning opportunities and activities to meet the learning
objectives and expected outcomes identified by the school.
- Provide a minimum of one hour per week of supervision in order
to provide feedback, education, and role modeling.
- Review course syllabi provided by student in order to assist in
the integration of field and academic experiences.
- Identify assignments to help the foundation year student learn
a broad range of social work interventions and/or Advanced Year
students to experience activities related to their area of Advanced
- Provide ongoing evaluation of the student throughout the
placement and to provide feedback on progress toward meeting their
- Notify the faculty liaison of any problems or questions as soon
as they become evident.
- Complete and submit, by the designated time, a written
mid-placement and final evaluation of the student's progress.
- Ensure that the student completes the minimum required hours
for the field placement.
- Attend training seminars provided by the Field Education
- Participate in three-way conferences with the student and
faculty liaison during the field placement.
- Abide by the NASW Code of Ethics.