Bennett Rehabilitation Institute
From October 2019 through May 2020, ITTIC will be in partnership with the Bennett Rehabilitation Institute to offer short-term, supportive counseling services to patients and their families.
- The Bennett Rehabilitation Institute provides collaborative physical therapy and is a leading practice specializing in conditions that involve the central nervous system.
- One of ITTIC's advanced year MSW interns will offer counseling services that focus on processing major life events, navigating significant life changes and provide an opportunity for patients to share their experiences.
Cazenovia Recovery Systems, Inc. & BestSelf Behavioral Health, Inc.
ITTIC received a grant from the Health Foundation of Western and Central New York in order to provide a 10-week psychoeducational support group for pregnant women and new mothers with opioid addiction.
- From November 2017 through October 2018, ITTIC partnered with both Madonna House at Cazenovia Recovery Systems, Inc. and The Lighthouse at BestSelf Behavioral Health, Inc..
- ITTIC worked with both sites to develop the support group curriculum with a trauma-informed lens.
- ITTIC facilitated support groups and follow-up evaluation after the completion of each group in order to get feedback from the participants and make adjustments to the group curriculum accordingly.
- ITTIC received an additional year funding from the Health Foundation in January 2019 to run additional groups, continue to tweak the curriculum and collect data on the group's effectiveness.
Cheektowaga Central School District
ITTIC has an on-going partnership with the Cheektowaga Central School District to provide training, consultation and coaching in Trauma-Informed Educational Practices.
- From August 2018 - July 2019, ITTIC provided a baseline evaluation to the school district, provided foundational education to all staff and facilitated bi-monthly consultation sessions with the district's Mental Health Team to be trauma-informed mentors.
- ITTIC is currently supporting the district's Mental Health Team as they move through the trauma-informed organizational change process and providing foundational education to new teachers.
Continuing Education Trauma-Informed Certificate Programs
ITTIC has partnered with the UB School of Social Work's Office of Continuing Education to develop several trauma-informed certificate programs, including an online Trauma-Informed Clinical Foundation Certificate Program and a Trauma-Informed Care & Counseling Certificate Program.
- The UB Office of Continuing Education has an array of trainings in trauma and trauma-informed care available to social work practitioners of all levels.
- Trainings are offered both in an online format as well as throughout Western New York.
The DREAM Program embodies the core principles of trauma-informed care, as each relationship established through this program is built on a foundation of safety, trustworthiness, choice, collaboration and empowerment. Currently, DREAM volunteers serve individuals at the Mary Agnes Manor and Vive, Inc.
- The DREAM Program was spearheaded in 2004 by the Community Concentration of the UB School of Social Work.
- DREAM is a volunteer-based program dedicated to the Development of lasting Relationships in the community through Empowerment, Advocacy and Motivation.
Kenmore-Town of Tonawanda Union Free School District
From January 2018-June 2021, ITTIC will be in partnership with the Kenmore-Town of Tonawanda Union Free School District to create the first trauma-informed school district in Western New York.
- The first year of the project consisted of conducting a baseline evaluation, training of leadership and individuals identified as "Champions" in each of the nine schools.
- Since then, ITTIC has provided foundation education on trauma and trauma-informed practices to all teachers and support staff.
- ITTIC is currently working with the Champion teams at each of the schools to facilitate their development into a mentor role, as well as to plan for, develop and implement a trauma-informed action plan that is individualized to their school.
- The third project year will consist of continuing to build on the work from previous years and more deliberately working at the district level.
Neighborhood Legal Services
From October 2019 through September 2020, ITTIC will be working with Neighborhood Legal Services to assist in their process of becoming more trauma-informed.
- ITTIC provided an introduction to trauma and trauma-informed practices in mid-October during an all-staff meeting.
- The remainder of the project will be focused on providing monthly consultation and coaching to all staff, working with an identified "Champion Team" around trauma-informed implementation and meeting with leadership.
West Hertel Academy
ITTIC has an on-going collaboration with West Hertel Academy (Buffalo Public Schools #94) to provide education, training and consultation.
- ITTIC worked with West Hertel Academy for a second project year from November 2018 - June 2019 by providing a trauma-informed evaluation, continuing to provide education and consultation to staff and working with the school's "Champion Team," consisting of the Principal and other key staff.
- ITTIC was able to give weighted blankets for the students and adults in the building, as well as other items for the school's mindful meditation room as a means of helping to address the impact of the work and personal experiences during the school day.
- Starting in January 2020, ITTIC will be present at West Hertel Academy for a few hours a month to support the teachers and staff through a trauma-informed lens.