Licensure Information for Alumni

All information below is specific to New York State licensure and University at Buffalo students and alumni. 

UB is responsible for completing Form 2. Questions regarding requirements and other forms should be directed to the NYS Office of Professions. 

If you are seeking licensure outside of New York State, check with your state licensure office. You can view and compare licensure requirements on the ASWB website. 

Graduated before fall 2005?

Mandated child abuse reporting was not part of the MSW curriculum prior to fall 2005. Therefore, before applying for licensure, you must complete a course in identifying and reporting child abuse. You can take this course from multiple approved providers throughout the state.

Steps to obtain a License Master Social Work (LMSW)

Steps to obtain a License Clinical Social Work (LCSW)

Required Clinical Supervision

To meet the experience requirement for licensure as an LCSW, you must have completed at least 36 months (three years) of supervised experience in diagnosis, psychotherapy and assessment-based treatment planning after receiving your Master of Social Work degree, as defined in Section 7704 of the Education Law.

For more information, visit the NYSED License Requirements for Licensed Clinical Social Worker page. 

Licensure submission options

Do not email your licensure form!

Email is not a secure form of submission.

Verification of Clinical Courses (Form 2 Section II-Part B)

Forms submitted to Registrar will be sent securely to the School of Social Work to verify completed clinical courses. Clinical course information can be found on our Clinical Course List page.

Additional Resources

NYS Office of the Professions

UB School of Social Work