University at Buffalo - The State University of New York
Skip to Content

International Application Requirements

The University at Buffalo is one of America’s most internationalized universities and offers a welcoming environment for international students.

Apply to the UB School of Social Work

Your first step will be to apply to the UB School of Social Work’s MSW degree or PhD degree program.

As an international student, there are additional materials you will need to provide with your application:

  • A photocopy of your passport photo page
  • Copy of Current I-20 and Visa (if currently studying in the United States)
  • International Applicant Financial Form
  • Bank documents showing funding for first year of academic study
  • English proficiency test scores (see details below)

English Proficiency

If you are an international applicant and English is not your first language, you must submit a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic score. The minimum accepted scores are:

  • TOEFL iBT®, 90
  • TOEFL CBT, 233
  • TOEFL PBT, 577
  • IELTS, 7.5
  • PTE Academic, 61

The test must be dated no more than two years prior to the semester start date.

Learn more: