Non-Degree (Non-Matriculated) Admissions

If you wish to enroll in our courses but do not plan to pursue a degree, you may enroll as a non-degree or non-matriculating student.

If you are a current UB student, register as normal and check with your advisor about whether our courses will count toward university requirements.

Before you apply

Please note that non-degree students:
  • Do NOT qualify for financial aid, including loans. View tuition rates
  • Do NOT qualify for the reduced online tuition rate or comprehensive fee waivers
  • May only register for a maximum of 6 credits per semester
  • May only register for graduate courses listed as electives
  • Are only admitted for one semester and must obtain permission to take additional non-degree courses in subsequent semesters

Our MSW degree options require 9 credits of electives. Therefore, we do not recommend taking more than a total of 9 elective credits without first speaking with a School of Social Work admissions representative.

UBuffalo Non-Degree Overview
New York Residency

To qualify for the in-state tuition rate, admitted students must provide proof of New York State residency. Visit the accepted student information page for details. 

To register for a graduate course, you must

To register for an undergraduate course, you must

Additional information

Questions about applying?

Contact us at 716-645-3381 or