Information for Accepted Students

Our main office in 685 Baldy Hall, North Campus

Congratulations! This step-by-step overview will help you understand and navigate the process of successfully getting started at the UB School of Social Work. Former UB students may be able to skip a few steps, as they were previously completed.

First: Let us know you're coming!

Confirm your attendance

To confirm your acceptance, you must log back into your gradmit application and click “Confirm Acceptance”. 

Submit your tuition deposit

Submit your $50 tuition deposit (via credit card or echeck) using the link you have received in your acceptance email

Can't find the link? Email us at 

Activate your UBIT name

  • Once you confirm your acceptance, you will be able to view your person number and UBIT name. Your single use password and instructions for changing it will be emailed to you within a few days of confirmation.
  • Watch an intro to UBIT here.
  • Your UBIT name will allow you to log in to your UBMail, HUB, UBLearns, wireless campus networks, etc.

Your UB email is the official method of communication between you and the university. Please be sure to check it regularly to receive important messages and updates.

If you have previously been affiliated with the University at Buffalo your UBIT name and password remain the same and you will not receive a new password. 

Forgot your UBIT name and/or password? Contact the UBIT Help Desk at 716-645-3542 or

Second: Get ready to enroll

The next group of steps can be completed simultaneously. Please be sure to complete all steps as soon as possible, as not doing so will delay your registration.

Submit your immunization records

In accordance with New York State Public Health Law, UB requires that all students submit a student health form.

Mail all health forms to:
Health Services, Michael Hall
University at Buffalo
Buffalo, NY 14214-3007
or fax to (716) 829-2564

UB students will not be allowed to register for classes until they have fulfilled these requirements.

Complete your field placement application (full-time students only)

(If you are a part-time student, or a dual-degree student who is not beginning in the School of Social Work, skip this step)

It is extremely important that you complete the field application in a timely manner.

Questions? Email

Complete requirements in HUB

Remove the Rules and Regulations and Meningitis holds:

  • Log on to the HUB Student Center through MyUB and review your Holds box. Click on the Rules Hold to see the affirmation screen, where you can view and affirm the Rules and Regulations. Likewise, click on the Meningitis Hold to see, read and affirm the required materials. 

UB students cannot register for classes until they have fulfilled these requirements.

Save the date for orientation

Apply for financial aid

Full and part-time students registered for at least 6 credit hours are eligible for loans through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Make a plan to fulfill human biology prerequisite

In your mailed acceptance letter, it will state whether or not you have completed the human biology requirement. If you have not already completed the human biology prerequisite, view your options and make a plan to satisfy this prerequisite as soon as possible.

Submit final official transcripts

You must provide final official transcripts* from your conferring undergraduate institution verifying that you have earned an undergraduate degree, in addition to all other colleges from which you have received undergraduate or graduate credit. 

Please have your final official transcripts sent to:
Attn: Maria Carey
University at Buffalo
School of Social Work
685 Baldy Hall
Buffalo, NY 14260-1050

Students are responsible for assuring the delivery of the documents to the School of Social Work. Please note that using any other university address may result in non-delivery to our department.

Questions about what is needed?

*Any offer of admission is provisional pending receipt of all official transcripts and proof of completion of an earned baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university by the date of intended enrollment.

Third: Register for classes

Note: You will not be able to register until all holds have been removed from your account.

View your program curriculum

You must register for the courses listed in the first semester of your program curriculum on the website.
Click on your program below to see which courses you must register for*:

*PhD students should contact their advisor to discuss their course schedule before registering.

Enroll in required courses

You can view details about different course sections in the class schedules section of the Registrar's website. 

Enroll in your classes via the HUB Student Center, which is available in MyUB.  View more information about HUB, including how-to videos, here.

Fourth: Final steps

Get your UB Card

Students are required to obtain a student ID card (UB Card). To get your UB Card, please visit our website or the UB Card office on the North Campus, Student Union Room 228.

Please note: You must be registered for classes before you can obtain your UB Card.

Get your UB parking pass

To park on campus, UB students, faculty, staff and vendors need a parking permit.

Complete health insurance waiver (if applicable)

All students are required to have health insurance. Students registered for 9 or more credit hours will be automatically billed for student health insurance. 

If you will have health insurance coverage from another source (parent, spouse, etc.) while you are a student, you can complete the health insurance waiver to waive this fee. 

Complete the Wellness Education Requirement

  • The University at Buffalo requires all new graduate students to pass "Haven Plus - Understanding Sexual Assault", an online education requirement, in addition to coursework for your field of study.  
  • Haven Plus is available on the Wellness Education Services website.

Additional Information

For Online Students

Online students who do not plan to come to campus at all can request a comprehensive fee waiver. Note that you must complete the fee waiver form every semester. Online students who live more than 75 miles from campus can also request an activity fee waiver.

Non-resident online MSW students (out-of-state and international) MUST take all of their coursework fully online in order to be eligible for the lower non-resident online tuition rate. If you register for a seated or hybrid course, you will be charged the full non-resident rate for all courses that semester.

For Students Relocating to Buffalo

For International Students

Learn more about your I-20 status, immigration and visa information, here.

For Veteran Students

Learn more about UB Veteran Services and the VA Educational Benefits, here.

For Students Needing Accommodations