BA/MSW Application Process

This program is meant for current UB undergraduate students who want to apply to the MSW program early. Our application process is completely electronic. All documents should be submitted through the application portal.

Before you get started

Application Prerequisites

Students apply to the BA and MSW portions of the program separately. 

If you are NOT a current UB undergraduate student, you will need to first apply to the University at Buffalo and the BA interdisciplinary health and human services program through the Undergraduate Admissions Office.

If you are a current UB undergraduate student, you must meet ALL the following prerequisites before applying to the MSW part of the program:

  • Major in the Social Sciences Interdisciplinary Degree Program in the UB College of Arts and Sciences.
  • Have completed a minimum of 93 undergraduate credits.
  • Have completed 11 of 15 required Interdisciplinary Degree Program health and human services courses.
  • Have completed the general education program.
  • Have an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or greater.
  • Have significant employment or volunteer experience in a human services setting.
  • Have completed 24 credits in liberal arts coursework:
    • 6 must be ins the social or behavioral sciences (e.g., psychology, sociology, anthropology, political science).
    • 6 must be in the arts or humanities (e.g., history, English, foreign languages, philosophy, ethnic/gender studies).
    • 12 credits may be made up wit any combination of the above or with courses from the natural sciences or mathematics.
  • Human biology undergraduate course (3 credits) must be completed prior to the advanced year MSW curriculum, if not fulfilled at the time of application.

Application Process

This is for students who have already completed all the prerequisites above, and are ready to apply to the MSW portion of the program.

All application components (including recommendations) must be received by the deadline in order to be considered.

1. Meet with director to determine eligibility

You must first meet with the Interdisciplinary Degree Programs Director to make sure you meet all the requirements and complete the prerequisites checklist. 

Dr. Shelley Kimelberg is the current contact for this step. She will assist you in determining eligibility.

2. Complete the electronic graduate application

Apply to the University at Buffalo School of Social Work using our electronic graduate application system.

Be sure to select the "BA/MSW (Interdisciplinary Studies/ Social Work)" program option from the drop-down menu, since this indicates to us that you are currently a UB undergraduate student who will not have a bachelor's degree by the time you start the MSW. If you do not see the program listed, it means that it is not currently open. Check our deadlines page for information about when program applications open and close.

3. Identify three recommenders

On the application form, you will be asked to send electronic recommendation requests to three professional references who are best able to assess your potential for graduate-level academic work and for the profession of social work. This includes: 

  • Faculty
  • Classroom instructors
  • Academic advisors
  • Current or past employers, supervisors or professional colleagues

Do not use personal friends, relatives, friends of the family or other personal relationship sources. In addition, do not use clients or individuals you provide services to, or therapists or other individuals you receive services from. 

When you send the requests, your recommenders will receive an email with a link to complete the brief evaluation form and upload their letter of recommendation for you electronically. You will receive a notification email when a recommendation has been received.

Plan ahead to give your references enough time to submit their recommendations before the deadline.

4. Upload copies of academic transcripts

Copies of transcripts should be uploaded to the application portal. Please upload your UB transcript in addition to transcripts from all other colleges you have earned credit from (you still need to upload them even if you already provided them to the Undergraduate Admissions Office). Transcripts must include the institution name, all courses taken with semesters, grades received, overall GPA, and transcript key if available (often printed on the back). Do not upload web printouts or advising reports. If you prefer to send official transcripts for the application review process instead of uploading copies, you may do so (see mailing address below).

If accepted to the program, you will be required to submit final official transcripts from your bachelor's institution (and any graduate degree or graduate coursework, if applicable), except from the University at Buffalo, if you have not already.

Official transcripts must be mailed to:

University at Buffalo 
School of Social Work- Admissions
685 Baldy Hall
Buffalo, NY 14260-1050

or sent via secure and official electronic delivery to:

5. Upload your personal statement essay

After you submit your application form, you will be able to upload your personal statement to your application checklist. This is a key component of your application. Your essay should reflect strong technical writing and critical thinking skills. Write a full essay answering ALL questions in the Guidelines for Writing the Personal Statement

6. Pay the application fee

After you submit your application, you will be redirected to your status portal, where you can find the secure payment link, allowing you to pay the non-refundable application fee by credit card or e-check.

The BA/MSW application fee is $75.


Email us!

Felony Disclosure

If you have a previous felony or criminal conviction, please read our felony disclosure statement before applying. 

MSW Application Process [14:29 min]

MSW Application process