MPH/MSW Application Process

In order to be a dual-degree student, you will need to submit two separate applications and be admitted to both the School of Social Work and the School of Public Health and Health Professions.

Watch our application process and timeline video for an overview [3:42]

application process and timeline

Application Prerequisites

Traditional Advanced Standing

Advanced Standing MSW Prerequisites

Please note that the criteria below is very strict and there are no exceptions. If you do not meet all the prerequisites, then you must apply to the Traditional MSW program instead. 

  • Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) degree from a CSWE-accredited program, with no more than six years between BSW conferral and start date of the MSW program.
  • Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 required.
  • B- or better in all undergraduate social work major courses.
  • Minimum of 24 credits of undergraduate liberal arts coursework. Of those 24 credits:
    • 6 must be in the social or behavioral sciences (e.g., psychology, sociology, anthropology, political science).
    • 6 must be in the arts or humanities (e.g., history, English, foreign languages, philosophy, ethnic/gender studies).
    • 12 credits may be made up with any combination of the above or with courses from the natural sciences or mathematics.
  • Human biology undergraduate course (3 credits) must be completed prior to the advanced year MSW curriculum, if not fulfilled at the time of application.

All above advanced standing eligibility criteria must be met at time of application and at time of bachelor degree completion.

School of Social Work Application Process

All application components (including recommendations) must be received by the deadline in order to be considered.

School of Public Health and Health Professions Application Process

You are required to complete a separate MPH application through the School of Public Health and Health Professions.


Email us!

New York Residency

To qualify for the in-state tuition rate, admitted students must provide proof of New York State residency. Visit the accepted student information page for details. 

Felony Disclosure

If you have a previous felony or criminal conviction, please read our felony disclosure statement before applying.